914 Milledge Road, Augusta
Summerville was built in the 1780s, and established as a separate village from the city of Augusta.
During the mid to late 1810s, downtown Augusta experienced a small epidemic of malaria, which caused little effect in Summerville. In 1820, a major outbreak of fever nearly wiped out the entire garrison at the U.S. Arsenal. After a recommendation from an officer, the U.S. Arsenal purchased land that is the present-day site of Georgia Regents University.
By 1850, Summerville became a four-season community. More permanent buildings and year-round homes sprang up as the town prospered. In 1861, Summerville was officially incorporated as a city with the boundaries defined as a circle for one-mile. Later on, Summerville became a fashionable luxury resort and golf capital with the construction of many hotels. This caused a large transformation — from a small summer resort for local residents to a winter playground for wealthy industrialists and politicians from the northern United States. Two hotels, The Partridge Inn and the Bon Air Hotel, hosted captains of industry and former presidents of the United States. Some built winter homes in the area, while others stayed permanently, escaping the harsh winters of the northern U.S.
When the city of Augusta annexed Summerville in 1912, it lost its status as a separate town. Four years later, a fire swept through downtown Augusta, destroying much of the business district and neighborhoods along lower Broad Street. This caused a housing boom for Summerville. Summerville Market Report
Newest Homes in Historic Summerville
2409 Central Avenue, Augusta
2651 Henry Street, Augusta
1322 Milledge Road Road, Augusta
1533 Schley Street, Augusta
1504 Monte Sano Avenue, Augusta